Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Prosecution Rests, but I Can’t

The Prosecution Rests, but I Can’t

New York Times ^ | April 9th, 2011 | John Thompson

Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2011 12:24:30 PM by KantianBurke

I SPENT 18 years in prison for robbery and murder, 14 of them on death row.

I’ve been free since 2003, exonerated after evidence covered up by prosecutors surfaced just weeks before my execution date.

Those prosecutors were never punished. Last month, the Supreme Court decided 5-4 to overturn a case I’d won against them and the district attorney who oversaw my case, ruling that they were not liable for the failure to turn over that evidence — which included proof that blood at the robbery scene wasn’t mine.

Because of that, prosecutors are free to do the same thing to someone else today.

(Excerpt) Read more at nytimes.com ...

1 comment:

  1. NYT article...

    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/10/opinion/10thompson.html?_r=2&hp

    ReplyDelete

Note:
The 'Reader Responses; shown on many posts/articles are almost always worthwhile reading.

Often, the comments by readers enhance the posted article greatly, and are informative and interesting.

Hopefully, all will remember to read the reader comments, and post their own as well.
Thanx
*****